Staying Positive






When I was diagnosed, I remember my mum saying I needed to stay positive and that being positive is essential for recovery. So how do I stay positive given such a grim diagnosis/prognosis?



ا would challenge anyone not to be cheered up by these handsome faces 


Pompey in his most relaxed of poses....what we would call a half rug

This was not something that came naturally to me, as it must be said that I’m more of a glass half empty type of gal. But always one to listen to her mother I have tried to embrace a more positive outlook. I meditate every day using the Calm app [https://www.calm.com] which has guided meditations as well as meditations for anxiety and other specific situations. I especially like the sleep stories which I listen to when I go to bed each night, a favourite being Beauty snd the Beast (a Disney classic of course!). I also try to think of three things every day that I am grateful for. It can be, and often is, family or Stu or Pompey or friends but it can be things like clean water, a comfortable bed to sleep in at night and other comforts that we so often take for granted.

Mexico holiday with these stunners, Micky and Ren...fabulous friends!

A message from my neuro-oncologist before going on holiday to Mexico last summer.  What a legend!

I felt this in particular recently when I was talking to one of my best friends with her little daughter, who had just started to walk. I thought how very wonderful for her to take her first step and realised that I will also get to take my “first” step again soon. So I have decided to look at my disabilities as opportunities to experience “firsts” that I will remember forever. The word


Enjoying my fave restaurant in Houston with my wonderful Dad and sis. 

Sometimes I’ll have the oddest thoughts that will lead me to remember how grateful I need to be. I was watching Cast Away the other day and I thought it’s a good job I didn’t start getting my first symptoms after I’d just been in a plane crash and was stranded on a desert island..... i'm thankful for that!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog